Plastic pollution

the problem with plastic…

FullSizeRender 22.jpg

We all know there is currently a BIG environmental concern when it comes to plastics, its all over the news, signs in stores, all over our social media, but what actually is the deal with plastic? And what actually is plastic? Basically, plastic is a synthetic material made from a wide range of polymers that can be moulded and manipulated into a rigid form.

Since the 1950s when plastics began being produced in mass amounts, more than 8.3 billion tonnes of plastic has been made, and the big issue here is plastic never truely ‘goes away.’ Sure it breaks down into smaller and smaller pieces (microplastics) making it more easily digested by other animals, and with an estimate of 8 million tonnes of plastic entering the oceans every single year, this is causing harmful effects such as injury or death to marine life. Furthermore, most plastics are made from fossil fuels that are extracted from the Earth resulting in their creation releasing greenhouse gas emissions adding to our problem with global warming.

Only a total of 9% of all plastic made gets recycled, meaning that the remaining 91% is still out their in the natural world. We need to break our reliance on plastics and reduce our plastic consumption, otherwise there is likely to be more plastic in the sea then fish by the year 2049.

 

EASY plastics to stop using

FullSizeRender 23.jpg
  • Water bottles

  • Coffee cups

  • Plastic bags

  • Plastic straws

  • Nylon/polyester clothing

  • Plastic cutlery

  • Produce bags

In a business-as-usual scenario, the ocean is expected to contain one tonne of plastic for every three tonnes of fish by 2025, and by 2050, more plastics than fish.”
— Ellen MacArthur

Some plastic documentaries that are a must watch…

a plastic ocean.jpg
blue.jpg